Online Sports Betting In Australia - Is It Legal?
Sports betting is a popular form of gambling entertainment in Australia, and is available both online and offline to Aussie residents. Since it is a legally sanctioned betting venue in the region, your biggest challenge, (other than picking the right teams), is determining where you will be placing your bets. This page of our legal Australian online gambling guide goes into what you should consider when choosing an online sportsbook and takes a look at the legalities surrounding this platform so that you are well aware of what is and is not permitted when engaging in this type of wagering. We are advocates for making informed decisions regarding any type of gambling involvement, and the information you find here will be accurate and up to date. The data we provide is based on unbiased facts, extensive experience and yes, our professional opinions
Is Online Sports Betting Legal In Australia?
Sports betting is one of the few venues that is exempted from the restrictions of the IGA and the Interactive Gambling Amendment Bill of 2016. Aussie gamblers seeking casino or poker betting online are prohibited from accessing gambling sites that are licensed and regulated by the Australian government or from foreign, offshore jurisdictions. Those restrictions to do not apply to sports betting. Citizens are free to legally place bets online at the local sportsbooks or at licensed offshore destinations. Sports betting is the one gambling platform that is more legally accessible to bettors in the Land Down Under than most other venues.
Legitimate And Reputable Sportsbooks That Accept Australian Players
|Site Link||Bonus Offer||Rating||Australian Friendly|
|Betonline Sportsbook||50% up to $2,500 AUD|
|Bet365 Sportsbook||100% up to $100 AUD|
|Sportsbetting.ag||75% up to $1,000 AUD|
Do Online Sportsbooks Accept AUD Currency?
Obviously the state regulated sportsbooks in Australia will accept the Australian Dollar for transactions when placing bets on their websites. The licensed offshore sportsbooks that have been approved to be included in our guide typically accept AUD currency.
What Is The Difference Between Local Australian Based Sportsbooks and Licensed Offshore Sportsbooks?
Since Aussie bettors have access to both locally run and licensed offshore sportsbooks, understanding the differences may be helpful in determining which type of sportsbook is the best option. Not all bettors have the same priorities or preferences, hence getting an overview of what each has to offer can provide insight into this segment of the industry. Here is a listing of a few of the differences found between local and offshore online sportsbooks.
Bonus Offers and Promotions: Both local and offshore sportsbooks offer nice promotions and incentives to new and returning bettors. It has been our experience that the offshore destinations seem to have larger and more frequent bonuses and promotions than the Aussie run online sportsbooks. It is a good idea to compare the offers in both options, as they tend to change frequently.
Range of Betting Lines: The state licensed online sportsbooks in Australia work hard to include the betting lines that they recognize as important to local sports fans. That being said, there is no denying that the local interactive sportsbooks do not offer the range of event coverage, betting lines and wagering options that the larger international sportsbooks are able to provide.
Payment Methods: There are not really a lot of fundamental differences regarding funding options. Both local and offshore sportsbooks are going to ensure that Australian friendly payment and withdrawal methods are available to their customers.
What Should I Look For in a Legal Australian Online Sportsbook?
One of the primary objectives of this guide is to provide information on legally sanctioned, high quality and secure online sportsbooks. In order to do this, our team of analysts places each brand through an intense review process that effectively tells us which sportsbooks meet our criteria for inclusion in this guide, and which sites should be avoided. Here is just a small sampling of some of the requirements that we have for an online gambling site to be approved by us:
1. They must be legally licensed by a respected governing jurisdiction and posses a certificate of good standing with said jurisdiction.
2. They must possess compliance certifications as evidence that they are adhering to regulatory requirements and have participated in agency auditing of their fair gaming practices.
3. They must utilize an advanced security profile that includes sophisticated data encryption, fraud prevention, firewall protection and a technical team to monitor security protocols.
4. Their betting lines must be competitive with the lines found at legitimate brick and mortar sportsbooks, such as those in Las Vegas.
5. They must provide lines on a wide range of sports events, matches and events, as well as a strong selection of wagering options.
6. All bonus offers and promotions must include reasonable and attainable wagering requirements.
7. The sportsbook must have a history of fast, accurate payouts to their customers, as well as a premium banking suite that makes transactions easy and streamlined for bettors.
8. Their user interface should be attractive and easy to navigate, and be compatible with both PC and Mac computers.
9. They should offer a robust mobile application that allows customers access to their accounts and to betting features from their smartphone or tablet.
10. There should be access to advanced features such as live betting and live in-play betting.
This is just a small sample from among the hundreds of operational elements and performance levels that we analyze during our review. We are so thorough so that we can be confident that our resource guide only includes recommendations that direct bettors to the absolute best options that the industry has to offer.